Sam Gichuru is the CEO and director of the Nailab, one of the first and top incubators in Nairobi. In the past, Sam worked in the IT & Telco industry for an accumulated 13 years. Sam is also a business coach, social media consultant, motivational speaker and the host of “Tech Tuesday”, a technology show on 93.3 Hope FM. You can connect with via his website and on Facebook.
We had a few questions for him and this is what he had to say:
1. What was your first phone?
First phone was an Ericsson 1018s. The company I worked for gave us loans to buy phones and it cost me about Kshs 7,500. I could have used it to defend myself successfully just in case someone tried to rob me.
2. What do you prefer? Facebook or Twitter? Why?
Both: I find facebook is more personal, can keep in touch with old friends and new friends, but I like twitter for formal discussion and industry news and random updates. My twitter account is @samgichuru so is everything else, facebook, blog, etc I own that brand name .
3. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Celebrating a lot of successful ventures from the Nailab. I’d also like to retire and go farming- I have a plan to build a farm/ranch with a cozy cabin, near a small lake or river.
4. Any question for us? We’ll publish our answer as well
What do you think of the Nailab and has it had any impact on you as a blogger?
The Nailab is a great space for working & co-creating. The general feel, the vibe allows for one to get a lot done. Writers block becomes a smaller hurdle when you are surrounded by people working hard to change the world.
5. What would you do if you were president for a day?
Sign a decree extending my presidency for more than 1 day
6. What’s your favourite book & movie?
My favorite movie is Gladiator ( lead actor is Russell Crowe and it was directed by Ridley Scott)
A book is my favorite only when am reading it – currently reading the ZEN & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Vinage Pirsig
7. Who/What inspired you to do what you do now?
A lot of people have inspired me, it started with Willis who would lend me PC World Magazines in the late 90’s.
8. If you were to change jobs, what profession would you get into? Why?
Farming. I want to work with my hands and enjoy the growth process.
9. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
Power to be president for more than 1 day
10. If you were deserted on an abandoned island what 5 things would you want to have?
- A book about “surviving on an abandoned island”
- A lighter (fire)
- A hunting rifle
- A knife
- A satellite phone
11. If you were a car, what car would you like to be? Why?
I am not a fan of “cars”, so let’s settle for foot-subishi – very reliable, manageable, healthy and flexible
12. If you could be in any band in the world, which one would you like to be in? Why?
Just a Band.. I think they have a lot of potential and of course Bill is a friend of the Nailab.
13. What advice would you give to up and coming African entrepreneurs?
Be consistent and keep trying and pivoting again and again.
14. Share something interesting about yourself with our readers.
I used to play the guitar (used as the keyword here), but I can’t sing to save my life.