Mwende Ngao is a filmmaker, actress, writer and poet. She enjoys art in all its forms especially film and music. She’s a bookaholic, spending more on books than she does on shoes!
She started writing at the age of 8 and has written poetry, short stories and scripts for television and film. She’s been performing her poetry since 2008 and has been featured in a variety of poetry events as well as a poetry album, ‘His Spoken Word’.
She has worked on a number of productions including TPF and Demigods. She is currently working on her own film projects.
We had a few questions for her, and this is what she had to say: -
1. What was your first phone?
An Alcatel. I don’t remember the model. I was 14. My dad gave it to me as a gift. It looked like a walkie talkie. #ThatIsAll
2. What do you prefer? Facebook or Twitter? Why?
Twitter. It’s way ahead in terms of information flow. I can follow the news, a football match, TPF5(jeez) and most events via twitter. Plus I’ve met a lot of the interesting people in my life through twitter.
3. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I never know how to answer this question. It’s one of those questions you get asked at a job interview… Thankfully, my line of work doesn’t have those questions! How old will I be in 5 years? Oh okay, I’m young. Probably with a successful production company and at least two published books.
4. Any question for us? We’ll publish our answer as well
Where do you see yourself in 5 years? (You started it!)
- Chilling on a sunny island retreat sending an e-mail to the private banker in Switzerland
5. What would you do if you were president for a day?
Just one day? Well, that’s not enough time to effect long-term change so I’d throw a party! Spend the day visiting Kenyans especially the underprivileged and giving donations to worthy causes.
6. What’s your favourite book & movie?
That’s a hard question. I don’t have a favourite anything per say. Um but I’ll say for the book, ‘Rice Mother’ by Rani Manicka. For the movie, I’ll go with ‘Il Postino’ directed by Michael Radford.
7. Who/What inspired you to do what you do now?
Inspired is a big word! I don’t know about inspired but I do know about supported me. My family and close friends stand out. I also had some pretty amazing teachers during my school years. Having people that believe in you and want you to succeed is a blessing.
8. If you were to change jobs, what profession would you get into? Why?
I wouldn’t change jobs willingly. I’d go kicking and screaming! However, I have always been interested in law. Almost went into it.
9.If you had a superpower, what would it be?
Teleportation please! I get motion sickness so this would be super helpful.
10. If you were deserted on an abandoned island what 5 things would you want to have?
- A kindle with all my favourite books on it
- A tool box
- A bag of sweets
- A hammock
- A camera kit
11. If you were a car, what car would you like to be? Why?
A 2011 black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. This car is a cross between the classic Jeep and the modern one. I love the combination of the classic and the modern, the taking of the best elements from both eras.
12. If you could be in any band in the world, which one would you like to be in? Why?
Sade’s band. Her music is amazing and she knows how to put on a good show!
13. Share something interesting about yourself with our readers.
OCD is my friend. And I can’t stand self-help books so I’d like to write one! I’ll title it ‘How to read a self-help book: A guide to maximizing on the wealth in a self-help book.’ This might get me on Oprah! No?! Hehe…